Be Ready to Inspire Someone: With Art!

Art is an expression of the mind. It is a way for someone to explore their opinions, and show how they see the world through shapes and color on a canvas. Here at Ridgecrest, students have the freedom to express themselves in a number of ways. Our wonderful teacher Ms. Goza has been teaching students how to let their creative juices flow for a very long time, and here is an interview with her about her experiences with art and some advice for those interested in taking one of her classes. Hope you enjoy!

1) How long have you been teaching art at Ridgecrest?
“Since it opened in 2000.” (That’s nearly eighteen years now!)

2) What different kinds of art do you teach?
“I teach studio art with the sixth graders, creative design, drawing and painting, and ceramics with the seventh and eighth graders.”

3) About how long do you spend doing artwork after hours?
“I wish I had more time! But I don’t have a lot of time, so I try to do a little bit of work on weekends, which is very minimal, sad to say. But, I’d say about a few hours a week.

4) Which one of the art classes is the most difficult to teach?
“I think probably the most difficult would be the creative design, only because design is supposed to make a statement. It’s supposed to make a statement that’s advertising yourself, you want people to look at your project, look at your design, and it needs to make a statement about yourself that I can’t provide for my students.”

5) What artists do you use as inspiration for your work?
“Well, I love Peter Max. He’s a modern artist, he uses a lot of vibrant colors, a lot of sequence, and a lot of positive images. So, I like him.”

6) Can you tell us a bit about the drawings on your walls?
“Yes! I’ve been collecting those since day one. It all started with a student wanting to give me a picture, and I said, ‘Well, I’ll hang it on my wall!’. It just snowballed after that. So, I have years and years of artwork on these walls!”

7) What do you do with a finished project?
“Say we just finished a project and it’s still wet. We put it in the back, and it dries a lot quicker with the kiln on. We fire it first, then it dries, and when the clay comes out, it looks [vey faded]. We call this Bisque. Then we glaze it by painting it with a special kind of ‘paint’. [Glaze] has all these minerals in it, that after firing, makes the clay look shiny. So, firing is a two-step process usually. The kiln reaches temperatures of up to 2,000 degrees. It gets pretty hot in here!”

8) What are glazes and how do they work?
“Glazes are finely ground minerals; it looks just like paint. When it’s first painted on, it looks… rather dull. Kind of chalky, and water could wash it off. Once it’s fired, it turns shiny. Depending on the glaze that you use, after this step, it should be sealed. Sealing it will let it hold water. We have gloss glazes, matte glazes, crystal glazes, and underglazes. An underglaze is not shiny even after firing. It doesn’t hold water either. When you fire with this, you need to take an extra step in the firing process. You use clear glaze to go over it. The colors look very different after this step! Crystal glazes, on the other hand, give clay random patterns when fired. It has little crystals inside the glaze that feels like sand when you paint it on. When it’s fired, the crystals burst and form a random pattern that looks pretty. It’s glassy, like clear glaze.”

9) What tools do you think are the most useful when you’re working with clay?
“We use clean up tools. Some of them cut our pieces, those ones have sharp edges to them. Modeling tools are also very helpful, they help you sculpt. Also, sponges! We use little sponges for cleaning up your piece. Your piece needs to be clean before it’s fired. Otherwise, it’s really, really rough.”

10) What do you think are the qualities of a good artist?
“I think the qualities of a good artist are… well, an artist needs to have passion. You do! You have to really enjoy what you’re doing. Here’s a little tip: you kind of have to be in a special frame when you’re working. If I’m working on my own, I like to maybe turn on some music, and just get into my piece. I like a little bit more peace around, but that’s just me. Take time to explore your level of comfort and focus. It lets you enjoy making art a lot more! So remember, passion is number one in an artist’s mind.”

11) What advice do you have for aspiring artists?
“Just to keep practicing. If you keep practicing, you’ll get better all the time. Good luck!”

Ms. Goza is an amazing teacher, and we hope to be seeing her in our school for many years to come! Please view the other article on the parrot press, “Ms. Goza’s art gallery” for more.