N.F.L Players Take Knee During National Anthem Due to Racial Inequality

Last Sunday, hundreds of players from multiple N.F.L. teams took a knee during the national anthem.

The Oaklands Raiders offensive line, primarily made up of African Americans, took a knee last Sunday in their game against the Washington Redskins.

President Trump called out some of the players, responding with “Get that son of a ***** off the field”, and tweeting later, “Sports fans should never condone players that do not stand proud for their National Anthem or their country. N.F.L should change policy!” This tweet caused controversy for many people and caused many other people to start throwing accusations calling the football players “Privileged, ungrateful Buffoons.”

While taking a knee started to gain popularity this year, it began with Colin Kaepernick during the 2016 season. He states that he started to kneel during the national anthem in 2016 because, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.” He told this to the NFL media at the time.

While some players like Kaepernick and Reid went on the field and knelt, some players or teams altogether didn’t even show up on the field during the singing of the national anthem. The Seattle Seahawks did not show up to the field before their game against the Titans. The Titans did not arrive at the field either.

during the Lions-Falcons game, the African American national anthem singer Rico LaVelle took a knee after singing the national anthem.

Anyone can take a knee for racial equality.